This recipe for chocolate scones makes for a decadent tea party. Just a little cocoa powder elevates the taste. We love it served with Saunders Family Farm Raspberry Jam.
Make 1 dozen 3 inch scones
1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
¼ cup Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup granulated white sugar
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cups 35% cream
1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
- Stir in sugar.
- Cut the butter into small pieces.
- Use a pastry blender to cut in butter with flour until the butter is the size of peas.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and cream.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the liquid.
- Mix with a spoon until just combined.
- Sprinkle some flour on the counter. Place scone mixture on top.
- Gently need until the dough comes together.
- Roll dough out to 1 inch thick.
- Cut with a 3 inch round cookie cutter.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, place scones on baking tray to cool slightly.
- Cut scones in half.
- Spread each half with Saunders Family Farm Raspberry Jam.